Sunday, June 20, 2010

Daughters of the SoHo Riots

What can one do in one weekend in New York City for under $40 on a weekend? Turns out a lot.

But let's backtrack to Tuesday. Have you ever been in a riot? No? Really? Well, I planned on NEVER BEING IN A RIOT. But that all changed Tuesday. So, Paper magazine had a a free concert Tuesday. The bill: some DJ, Hanson and Drake. Of course I was going. So I show up after work, and lets just say I was the ONLY Hanson fan there (I had planned on peacing out after Hanson anyway). The other 19,999 people were like "Hanson who? Mmm Bop Hanson?" Well. The DJ played a 1/2 song, Drake fans climb to the top of bodegas....fast forward 15 minutes. Chair throwing, smothered teenagers, flower pot throwing and JP speed walking to the nearest subway. No Hanson show :( I don't think they'd of gotten through a song either. Even if it was Mmm Bop. (Hanson, if you read my blog, you owe me a free show. I'd pay for a show. First a riot then now flash mob in NYC? FAIL!)

OK, back to my $40 weekend.

It started out with this:


That's offsides, just like the fact that when I got out in to the city undercover, I go as Cat Woman. At any pace, I called the 0-0 England score. Just win, USA, just win.

THEN. For kicks and giggles, I'd heard about a free Band of Horses show in Grand Central! Fearing a riot (no, just kidding, BoH fans wouldn't riot, right? Right?) I go and get in line. I get in. Cost $0. So I started out my weekend with a FULL show. Free! Highlight: Funeral. (Not in Grand Central, but the song!) And Toy Story 3!


Saturday: The Mermaid Parade @ Coney Island. Free.
Saturday night: A Trip out to Governors Island for the FREE Freelance Whales and Morning Benders show. It was on the waterfront facing the city. It was beautiful. Other than the two hours they held us hostage at the Brooklyn Ferry Stop, not too shabby! The food was good, the show was free, the sunset of Manhattan Island was beautiful, and there was NO CHANCE of a RIOT!

Today: A brilliant performance from New Zealand, a less than stellar game from Brazil and Cote D'Ivoire (lets have 3 hand balls, then score a goal, AND THEN joke with the ref.) And dinner and the evening grocery shopping at Chelsea Markets. Which I am now facinated with. Do you know how cheap those vegetables are?!

So that was my very inexpensive, fantastic weekend. New York occasionally really rules.

1 comment:

laura said...

So jealous that you got in to Band of Horses! I planning to go but by the time Friday afternoon rolled around I was really tired and didn't feel up to fighting the crowd. Glad you had fun!

And yes, the Chelsea Market is a GREAT place to get groceries! I buy all my produce here before I head home from work.