Saturday, January 17, 2009

Song of Purple Summer

So, remember that post back in December that said it was a bad thing I found out about digital rush because the only broadway show i've ever liked was closing? Well, I saw Spring Awakening on Broadway for the last time tonight. And now I'm going to give you my full and uninterrupted review of every reason I loved this play (not to mention this is kind of my journal keeping track of my life, and i'll give to my kids one day so they'll make fun of me).

So. First off, Alexandra Socha was Wendla EVERY time I saw the show. She's adorable and was GREAT. Wouldn't have wanted it any other way. Hunter Parrish....you skipped out on me twice (PS. I've now seen this show one more time than Twilight).....but you were sick. This was evident the post-skipping show. My hands down favorite voice on the cast was Emma Hunton. See why below.

My favorite songs with quotes in perspective places:
So Momma Who Bore Me is quite possibly the best song of the show. But it's the first one, so I tend to forget about it. It's gorgeous. I always wonder how many times the actress playing Wendla has ever fallen off the chair while putting on her dress.

The Bitch of Living is just fun. And I love it. Tonight, I noticed most of the boys wear Converse shoes during the show....sweet!!!!

My Junk is next up on my favorite list. First of all, the scenes are hilarious. And it's just fun.

So last night, on the way to my friends house, I was debating whether or not to buy this 3rd row ticket to the show the day before it closed, and decided it was best to listen to the music to make my decision. "Touch Me" came on and I was pretty much sold (then there were three people who weighed in on the subject...and all leaned towards yes). Listen to the song. You'll know why.

(Favorite quote time)
"But my whole life, well, I've never felt....anything." Wendla

"There's a storm coming you know." Wendla

So those are just a taste of my favorite first act songs. And those were fantastic every time. Then you get to the second act. And we start out with "The Guilty Ones." I have nothing to say other than I love this song.

"Don't do sadness/Blue Wind" is possibly one of the best songs in the show. The first time I saw the show, when Emma Hunton began the second verse of Blue Wind....I thought "Damn. That girl can sing." She makes the song.

So then they play my least favorite song....Left Behind. But I must say, this evening as I sat in the third row, and the cast members were slowly lining the stage.....i did get goosebumps in preperation for the best performed song of the show....which is...

Totally F****d. That's really all you have to say about this song. Its awesome. My favorite performed.

Then Whispering....Those You've Known....Song of Purple Summer....

And that's my review. A pretty high bar has been set for my musical enjoyment. And i'm sad it's leaving Broadway. My bank account isn't :) But that's ok. It's been great looking forward to a live play in New York City. Now I see this big deal that I didn't even want to give the time of day.

No comments: